CALL FOR ENTRIES OPENS: Jan 1, 2018
CALL FOR ENTRIES FINAL DEADLINE: Feb 9, 2018
APA LA OFF THE CLOCK EXHIBITION OPENING: April 21, 2018
APA LA is pleased to announce the seventh annual 2018 OFF THE CLOCK curated photo competition and exhibit. OFF THE CLOCK is the pre-eminent opportunity to present your inspired personal photography to the world. Each year APA LA invites a well-respected, influential visionary from the international photo community to contribute their talent towards curating this prestigious exhibition. This year we are honored that Elizabeth Laurie Kratochvil has accepted our invitation to apply her unique vision in carefully selecting her top one-hundred images from all submissions.
Once the selects have been made, the fun begins with your work gaining unprecedented exposure among the leading advertising, publishing and graphics firms in the country.
First, all selected work will be matted, framed and featured during the much-anticipated industry-wide gala opening reception blowout. The guest list for this gala reception includes prominent members of the advertising, publishing and graphics industries–with special invitations sent to top creatives in the Southern California region. Then, after the opening gala reception, the selected framed images will be shown in rotating exhibitions among multiple leading Southern California advertising agencies throughout the summer of 2018. Agencies include Saatchi & Saatchi Los Angeles, Ignited, RPA, and David & Goliath. To further expose your work to the industry, we will display the complete exhibition on our website for a full year, so your finest personal work will be available to thousands more clients, globally.
SHOW YOUR FINEST PERSONAL WORK
OFF THE CLOCK is easy to enter with no confusing categories, no image series and no creation date restrictions. The most important parameter is that your submitted work should be strong, original, creative and truly personal. Entries may be black and white, duotone, or color, and should be self-commissioned and must represent what you consider to be your finest personal work. Our easy-to-use online submission interface allows you to enter as many images as you like! What are you waiting for? Give it your best shot. Show the world your personal vision.
Note: Alternative print processes (copper plate, tin type, etc.) are acceptable with an additional framing fee. The curator will limit the number of selects from any one entrant to a maximum of six.
APA Member Entry Fee: $20 per image
APA Non Member Entry Fees: $40 per image
Not an APA member? Now is a great time to join APA and receive up to a 50% discount on each image submission.
Current APA member looking to upgrade your membership contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
By entering The APA Off The Clock Curated Exhibit, Entrants:
1. Warrant to APA LA that they have created and own the work submitted (including all elements of the work) and that nothing within any work has been copied or added from another person’s work.
2. Warrant that the whole copyright and any other form of intellectual property right in the work is vested in them.
3. Warrant that they have not in any way assigned, licensed, disposed of, or otherwise encumbered any of their rights which allow them to deal freely with the work and the copyright therein.
4. Warrant that they have obtained model or property releases from any persons and/or property owners requiring such, featured in their submitted photographs allowing publication in any and all media forms.
5. Agree that their work may be exhibited or shown during APA sponsored events, as well as on the APA website and APA promotional materials, allowing for the photographer to retain complete control over the licensing and sale of their work.
6. Agree that APA may reproduce and may allow reproduction of winning images in APA approved publications. Credit will be given to the photographer for any image(s) used.
7. Acknowledge that APA relies fully upon the warranties and license given by Entrants when submitting their entries for consideration to The APA Off The Clock Curated Exhibit. Entrants indemnify and hold APA harmless from any claims, actions, proceedings, costs and expenses arising as a result of any allegation that the relevant Entrant did not own or is not wholly entitled and authorized to allow publication and reproduction of the work by APA.
8. APA LA reserves the right to disqualify any winner not providing the required personal information, headshot, and/or winning image in the requested file format and size within two weeks of APA's request via the contact information supplied by the entrant. Replacement winners will be selected at the curator's discretion.
9. Curating is a blind process. Photographer's names will only be disclosed to the Curator after the curating process has been completed. The decision of the Curator of the competition shall be final and binding.
10. Entrants retain full copyright to their images and grant no usage to APA LA other than those granted herein. APA LA, the Sponsors, or Venues showing an exhibition of winners shall not be liable for any loss or damage of any entry. Submission of an entry to the competition automatically constitutes the contestant's acceptance of all conditions set forth in the above rules. It also acknowledges the right of APA LA to use the photographer's likeness and information, as well as the winning images, in exhibitions and promotions, in any and all forms of print, electronic and digital media, related to APA Off The Clock Curated Exhibit for up to 24 months following the 2018 Competition winners announcement.
11. Deadline for entries is FEBRUARY 9, 2018. Entry fees cannot be refunded, once submitted.
12. Winners will announced on/or about April 2, 2018
● Only digital images are accepted through our online submission process.
● All files must be jpegs, no smaller than 1024 pixels on the longest side and at most 4000 pixels, 72 dpi, sRGB color profile, with no visible identifying text/symbols.
● Image files need no unique title by the entrant. Image files are identified to the entry and assigned an arbitrary ID for the "blind" judging.
● A single entry is one image.
● Sorry, no panoramas, diptychs or triptychs will be accepted.
● There is no limit on the number of single entries submitted.
● You may not enter an image that has won Off The Clock in previous years.
● You may not enter substantially similar images that have won Off The Clock in previous years
● There is no restriction on when the entry image is created
● Agencies have the right to dismiss from the Off The Clock Agency Summer Rotation any image that they deem as objectionable.
● A maximum of 5 images by the same artist may be selected for Off The Clock.
● You do not need to be an APA member to enter the contest, but members receive a discount on entry fees.
● Anyone claiming APA membership must be current in their dues at the time of entry and when winners are announced.
Questions? Please email: email@example.com
● All files must be jpgs with a file size limit of 10mb.
● Simple file naming conventions please. Do not use special characters like @,
● Image size no smaller than 800 pixels on the long side and at most 1280 pixels
● Color profile is sRGB, image resolution 72ppi
● Images should have no visible identifying text/symbols, entries are assigned an arbitrary ID for the "blind" judging.
● Single image entries only
ONLY THE 100 ACCEPTED EXHIBITOR IMAGES NEED TO BE PRINTED & MATTED
All of the final accepted entries (as determined by our curator) must be printed as high quality single image prints, and must be window mat mounted on white, or off-white mat board with outer mat dimensions of 16 x 20 only. Floating mats are acceptable for an additional fee. Mattless, full frame images are also acceptable. Be sure to clearly print your last name on the back of the mat, and also on the mat back write “TOP” on the top for frame orientation. You will have nearly 2 weeks to print and mat your images & drop them off at the framer.
Your images will be custom framed under plexiglass in a very high quality Black Matte Finished Studio Stem Molding Wood Frame by Reclaimed Frame. Drop off your matted prints to APA before March 14th 2018. We again negotiated a non-profit volume discount so Framing Fees (including sales tax) are $90 for each 16 x 20 frame, which are due by 3/14. There is no APA frame markup, no hanging fees, and the framed piece is yours to keep. The pick up times for getting your framed art back will be emailed to Exhibitors at the end of the run of show. Any pieces not picked up by the final pick up deadline will not be stored by APA/LA.
About APA: American Photographic Artists (APA) is a leading American organization run by photographers for photographers, as well as other photographic professionals. With a culture that is grounded in optimism and openness, APA supplies the necessary tools for business success, standards, and creative satisfaction. This includes all levels of the photography profession. APA understands that it is our job to be proactive. We anticipate the practical, creative, and business needs of our members with ongoing resources and vigorous national advocacy. APA's reach and standards are recognized worldwide. Our inviting culture and common sense values provide the foundation for all that we do.
Questions? Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Promoting the rights of Aboriginal children and families
Features over 400 pages of imagery from Professional APA photographers